From:
Eunice Keely <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 23:20:27 EST
Dear Ishka,

I too have a new ferret.  She is a one year old sweet girl named Gypsy.
I've had my boy Calvin for 2.5 years.  I also have my cages side by side
and have to have supervision when they are both out together.  I have had
Gypsy for four weeks.  When they are both out there is alot of hair
raising, hissing, squeeking and wrestling.  Calvin tries to grab Gypsy by
the back of the neck and lay on her.  She has gotten better at defending
herself.  He is getting a little more leary of her defenses.  If he gets
too rough I put him back into his cage for a 5 to 10 minute time out.  I
pick each one up for reassurances while they are out.  I also put Calvin in
Gypsy's cage when she is not in it.  There hasn't been any spraying no any
broken skin that I can see.  Calvin is obsessed with following Gypsy around
and picking on her, to put it mildly.  I hold Gypsy and talk to Calvin and
pet him at the same time.  Verbal discipline does not work at all -
thumping and telling him no isn't even a solution when he is obsessed.

I had visions of a loving companion for my boy Calvin.  Gypsy is so sweet
and tolerant of him that I'm going to keep trying to work this out with
them.  I have been letting them "play" ??  (fight) more and more for longer
periods of time.  Eventually they both get worn out and sneek off to sleep.
It has taken 4 weeks to get to this stage.  There has been PROGRESS!  I try
to divert Calvin's attention with treats and games.  Gypsy is learning to
adapt to the situation and even comes back for more.  When Calvin is too
aggressive she hides in a spot he can't get to.  She is a little smaller.

I was dissapointed at first because I longed for a happy ferret family.
I read so many interesting stories on the FML about the antics of Ferret
Math.  I posted my problems on the list a couple of weeks ago and have
gotten some encouraging responses.  Thanks to all.  I would appreciate any
other suggestions because it is hard for a mom with one ferret to know what
is normal ferret family behavior.  I am determined to make this work out.

Good luck with your new ferret and don't give up.

Eunice Keely
Calvin  (Hey this is my mom and my house and my blankie and my toys- hey
         get out from under my stereo!)
 Gypsy  (Get off my back boy- got too much to see and do)