Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 23:38:47 -0700
Hi fellow fuzzy lovers!

You know you're a ferret owner when you're playing with your ferret and/or
writing to the FML when you know you really should be reading a novel for
English class... ;-)

Well, we did it.  Martin and I got through his first vet visit under my
care.  He did really well with his rabies and distemper vaccine, and I
would have had them spaced out a few weeks, but the vet didn't tell me what
the shots even WERE until he was actually putting them in Martin, and that
irked me.  I think they assumed I knew they'd do them both since the girl
there showed them both to me (before they were put in syringes) when I
asked her what vaccines they use there.  They used IMRAB-3 and FERVAC-D.

Well, in 3 weeks, Martin needs a distemper booster, because I have no
records or knowledge of his past shot history.  So, here's where the
questions start coming.

For the Vetsmart I took him to, they have clinic days (where you only pay
for the vaccine and they give your pet a free exam) on Tuesdays, Wednesday,
and Saturdays.  I happened to take him on a Friday, the 16th, and got the
discount anyway since I was a first time person.  In exactly three weeks to
the day of his shots, I will be out of town.  Would it be better for him to
get the shot before I leave (on that Tues. or Wed.) or after (on Saturday).
I am leaving on Thursday the 5th, and will be back late at night on the
8th.  I don't know when to take him in for the shot.

Also, when I leave, would it be better for Martin to let him stay at my
home with my 15 year old brother looking after him, or have him stay at a
ferret-knowledgeable home?  My brother is willing to look after him, feed
him, clean up, and play with him while I'm gone.  I just don't know what
signs to tell him to look for in case of sickness or (God forbid) injury.
My family is pretty new to ferrets.  Is there some kind of sheet I could
print out for my brother to have on hand?  And is there anyone willing to
give me their number in case my brother or mother has any questions that
need answering about Martin's care while I'm gone?  I live in Federal Way,
WA, about 30 minutes south of Seattle.  They'll have the number where I'll
be, but you know, just in case...

I'd take Marty with me, but I am flying to Los Angeles.  Enough said.

Well, there's some bragging to be done!  My Martin has behaved SOO well
since I have had him (one week today!!).  He is very playful and kind, and
extremely gentle to any strangers.  I was taking him for walks in PetsMart
when it was too cold/wet to walk him outside, and people who saw him liked
him a lot and asked about him and if they could pet him.  The most common
questions were, "What is that?" and "Does he bite?" Martin even kissed some
people!!  Everyone liked him a lot!  It was great!

And here's what he did today.  I took him outside and gave him a walk on
his leash and harness.  He didn't go potty before I took him out (even
though I waited a while), and he didn't even go out while I had him
outside.  He *didn't_even_go* when I had him playing in my room while I
soaked his litterbox in the tub.  He waited until the box was clean, dried,
and placed back in the right place in his cage before he calmly climbed in
and used it.  I was so proud!!  (Although, no sooner had I bragged about
this to my brother tonight, Martin crawled behind my squirrels' cage and
pooped... sigh).

He is such a great ferret, gives tons of kisses, and he even dooked last
night!!  He wardances in the clothes on my bed and makes me laugh so hard.
I love this little guy.  I don't know how ferrets do it, but he has
captured my heart SO fast!

Well, I just thought I'd do some bragging about my little one and bring
some happiness and good news to the FML.

I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has to the questions I've posted.
Thanks so much!  Ferret folks are the best! =)

Warm regards to all fuzzy friends and their people!

--Meghan  [log in to unmask]
and Martin the Martian, the most perfect ferret from Mars
(you know, since Easy-Off has claimed the title of Best Ferret in the
Whole World, and Pandora has claimed Second Best! hehe..  Hope I got
that right!)