From:
Roberta Ensor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 22:43:38 EDT
When we first brought home our little guys, we made sure our fireplace was
secure and "ferret-proof" (I think that's another of those ferret myths,
nothing stays "ferret-proof" to a ferret).  We installed a fireplace screen
which also had glass doors.  We were all set, we thought.

Remember the bad ice storm that hit the northeast last year?  Ours was one
of the towns hit hard by it.  We lost power early on and had to rely on the
fireplace for heat.

We were worried about the ferrets safety in the severe cold and kept them
in the living room (the warmest room because of the fireplace) with us and
out of their cage.

Throughout the first day, we were constantly counting noses and toeses and
making sure everyone was staying safe and warm.  At one counting Bandit (No
No Bad Girl) came up missing.  In the ensuing search my husband noticed the
glass fireplace doors were open.  Inside at the very back (how could she
have gotten that far in) was Bandit.  She had pushed and pulled at the
glass doors until she was able to open them up.  We discovered this just
after I pulled her out of the fireplace and put her down on the carpet.
She jumped back up onto the hearth and proceeded to work at the doors until
she had them open again.

I ended up taking a piece of string and tied the door handles together.  It
was a pain in the neck to untie to stir the fire or add wood but it kept a
very determined (and lacking in fear or common sense) ferret out.

I have decided no fireplace is safe with a ferret ever!

Roberta