From:
Millie Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 10:23:04 -0500
The problem of using playbox for poopstation: I had the problem when Ajax
arrived, not blaming him, mind you but it didn't happen before him, and
when it happened the second time, I threw out all the sand and put new in,
arranged a poop station right next to the sandbox and put Ajax in his cage
for two days, only letting him play in it while I supervised.  (mine run
free so keeping him in the cage was even badder on me than him, just needed
enough time for him to forget what had been done).  It has never happened
again.  I would suggest throwing out all the sand in the box and starting
with fresh, then locking it up and only letting them play when you are
there with them and then closing it back up again for at least two or three
days.  by that time, they should have the idea it is a play pretty not a
poop station because that is how it has been used the last several times
they were in it.  After that, leave it open for free use.

About the poofing, as I wrote to her privately, the over all is I did
receive two adults at the same time both very able to poof if they didn't
get their way.  I also needed to have them "fixed" too but since they had
all this trauma of transporting across the US (we call that vacationing)
and then into a strange home that was already well established with ferrets
and they had to make their only little space here, waited a month to take
them for the operation.  Well, Dizzy just bounces around as if he is in
another world, never gets upset with anything or anybody, just happy,
happy,happy, whereas Joy has to "prove" herself.  Dizzy never poofs
anymore.  Joy stopped after she had ironed everyone out to their manners
until the fixins.  Dizzy's work was all external, not near as stressful.
But Joy had to be opened up so hers was more into it.  Pass up all the
mental problems, there is physical trauma here and I am told her hormones
will be a little "edgie" for a month.  I never saw, let me correct that,
smelled - and I admit saw - so much poofing in my life out of one little 2
lb 6 oz little blubber belly in my life.  It is slowing down but it is just
taking a little time.  I expect it to stop completely real soon as she
re-establishes herself - the others say she has made her point but she
still hunts them down just like a little radar missile.

I would not recommend any operation for at least a month after receiving a
new one to give them time to adjust.  They don't know if they are being
dumped again, where they are going, if they will stay there, if they'll go
back or anything.  Let them settle down.  At the end of that time, evaluate
and think about what is going on.  If they stop poofing then you saved some
money, if it just slowed down, give it more time, and if it is just the
same, then you might want to do it.  The spraying of bitter apple is not
going to help cause they aren't biting to play or taste each other, they
are socially making a statement that has to be understood by the other at
all costs.

Oh,yes, and don't forget the Lysol comes in the large economy size.

Millie & her noble cleaning crew
Easy Off:  the most perfect ferret in the whole wide world
Ammona:  Gee, Grandma, I didn't know you knew there were hinges on the
gates, I really am given another chance !!!!   World here I come, again
Cascade: Who are you partial to now, Joy?  Both the guys are running
from you like mad.
Ajax:  Uncle Dizzy, what are we going to do about Joy, I am not going
to let her tuck me into another hammock today.
Dizzy:  Shshshshshhhhhhhh  we'll sneak out when she takes a potty break
Joy:  Now now boys, lets not "rock" the hammock.