From:
Sherry Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 00:13:09 -0400
Hello to all!  I have been lurking on the list here for about 6 months, and
I have to say 'Wow!' What a great bunch of dedicated fuzzy lovers!  Hope
you don't mind if I take a minute to tell you my story.  I had two ferrets
about 5 years ago, very loved and happy.  But due to a very nasty divorce
that left me emotionally and financially unable to care for even myself let
alone all my loved pets, I had to find them a new good loving home.  But, I
always swore that when I got my life back together, I would some day have
ferrets again.  One thing that frustrated me during that time, though, was
that it was very hard to get any ferret products or information about
ferrets.  Thank God for the progress that's been made, and for the
internet, and of course, you crazy fert nuts :).

So, when I told my S.O. that I wanted to get a ferret again, he moaned and
whined and argued, all the old myths about ferrets, 'they are mean, they
bite, they are smelly, etc, etc.'

Well, being my typical hard-headed self, I just went out and got one
without telling him.

Two days later, he informed me that this was the nicest gift I'd ever
gotten for him, and I really should think about getting one of my own! <G>

Well, ferret math did it's work quickly and we now have Quinn, who is about
5 months old, and Dessie, who is about 9 weeks <pet store heart thief, who
is small enough to make me wonder if he's not a little younger??>.

Here are my concerns: Quinn has decided that he absolutely cannot tolerate
the water bottle being attatched to the cage.  I have tried moving it, even
putting it high enough that he has to climb to drink from it, and he still
works to knock it down.  Any ideas behind why this behavior has suddenly
come up and what to do about it?  I worry that while I'm at work, or asleep
that he won't have the water he needs.  The second concern is that Dessie
has a crusty, oozy eye.  I can't see any signs of an injury, and I've been
wiping it with a warm wet cloth, but I just noticed it this evening.  It
has his eye plastered shut, and he hates to hold still long enough to have
it examined.  Plus, I'd like to get some recipes for duck soup, since I'm
afraid he's not eating enough of the fert food.  He's not gained any weight
in the week that we've had him.

Thanks in advance, for any help and for letting me share my happy fert
story. :)

Sherry
Quinn (I don't WANT that water bottle there!)
Dessie (Mommy, let me go, I've got SOOOO much to do and I'm behind schedule)