From:
Barbara Ludt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:05:25 -0500
Well, here I am, the bearer of Sad News once again....

Young DILBERT just passed away moments ago.  Thankfully, his Depature was
swift.  A beautiful, black sable, boy of less than two years of age.  He
was turned in as a foundling mid-summer, never claimed by anyone; yet never
adopted.  And I always wondered WHY?  Each time I brought him to a
potential new home--certain this outgoing young fuzzy was going to find a
new family--another one of the adoptables was chosen; and back home DILBERT
came with me--time and time again.

He somehow sprained his wrist about two weeks ago (maybe a little too
exuberant version of Weasel Wardancing?!) and after Xrays showed no
breaks/fractures; Dr. Kemmerer also had noted that he was due for his
Heartworm test.  Something that is just a matter of course, but was not
done in the summer since he WAS still so young and if he had been out as
a stray for a while it may have been a little too early to tell.  Well,
obviously it WAS.  We found out only on December 29th that sweet,
happy-go-lucky DILBERT was heartworm Positive.

Interestingly, his Shelter playpal was NICOLE...two physical opposites.
HE: young, dark, robust, thick coated and playful; SHE geriatric, albino,
frail, hairless and reserved.  But they seemed the perfect pairing.  As
many of you know, MISS NICOLE arrived at The Rainbow Bridge only three days
ago....almost 72 hours to the minute of DILBERT's passing.  I can't help
but believe these two ferret Soulmates were destined reconnect with each
other physically here on Earth but briefly; before reuniting in Spirit in
another Realm.

It was my and his Auntie Plashette's honor to enjoy DILBERT's sparkling
eyes and joyful presence for a too short six months; somehow the
Universe knew he needed to stay here at our "Woodland Retreat" while on
this Earth.  From his alarming first cough to his final breath was less
than five minutes--with me right there (and his Auntie Plashette on the
other end of the phone---a coincidence?  No.   I'd like to think more
like Divine Providence....).

To gain something positive from DILBERT's short life, PLEASE have your
ferrets heartworm tested and put on Heartworm preventive, esp. those of
you residing in the Heartworm rampant states of the South--like we do in
Florida.  All it takes is ONE infected mosquito to get INTO your
comfortable air conditioned home and get a blood meal from one (or more)
of your fuzzies.....is it WORTH the risk when prevention is inexpensive
and readily available from your vet?

For The Ferrets,

Barbara J. Ludt, Director
Northeast Florida Branch
South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue, Inc.

See our Wesbite at:  http://www.miamiferret.org

Help raise Funds for our Shelter ferrets--just click on this link:
         http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=3664&mid+29938
Or access our account through Ferrets In Need at: