Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 14:33:18 -0500
From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Sorry I didn't get to respond sooner.  It was strange to me when I read in
the FML that the TN Panel wasn't being done anymore because I'd JUST been
chatting with Charlie Weiss who is having to use so very many of them in
the tests for his current study on optimizing medication maintenance for
adrenal ferrets who are not surgical candidates.  I can second what Troy
Lynn found out, only she learned it right from the source, which is better.
The TN Panel IS being done; the rumor saying it wasn't is false.

Because there are so many ferrets participating in the Weiss adrenal study
Charlie has been told that he's going to have to cover more of the testing
costs.  This is on top of him having to cover the expenses for two of the
medications being studied.  (One medication maker has heard so much
interest from vets that it is providing the medication for free, but the
others cost since the pharmaceuticals involved do not realize the potential
size of the markets.)  Charlie would like to HEAR FROM VETS DIRECTLY who
would like to learn which drugs are involved in these tests in case he
makes the choice to help the manufacturers understand that the ferret
adrenal treatment market is NOT too small for their consideration by having
proof of interest (Please, mention your practise, or your university if you
are a vet prof or vet student, as well as your name.).  Alternatively, I
can forward VETS' e-mail notes sent to [log in to unmask]  The
results so far have been very promising.

Charlie began this study because it hurt him so badly to not have more
options for ferrets which are not surgical candidates, both for the sake
of the ferrets and that of their owners.  He thought it would stay rather
small at first, but the results wound up being so good that people kept
telling others about it.  It then grew to an unexpected size.  Right now
Charlie and those helping him are donating their time, and Charlie is
funding the extra costs himself (except for the start of contributions
arriving) since he hadn't expected it to grow to a point where it is this
hard to fund, and had not expected to have to partly cover the costs for
the TN Panels.  I know that some people here have sent in checks since we
ALL know that we WILL at some point have a ferret who NEEDS the results of
this study, but if you are among those who have been postponing sending a
check, PLEASE, do so as soon as you can manage it.  It doesn't have to be
large; Charlie is going to appreciate whatever he can get to help with
these costs.  If it IS large, though, I know he won't complain! ;>  It's
too late for him to apply for a Morris Animal Foundation grant since the
deadline was last year for this year's grants.  Money IS needed.

For anyone who doesn't know, Charlie is someone who has done a great deal
to improve ferret veterinary care.  Yes, he's the same vet whose insulimona
study recently helped improved care for that condition, and both the
quality and quantity of life for ferrets with that problem, and for their
owners as a result of the ferrets being healthier.

For anyone who has ever cared about a ferret with adrenal growths or ever
will:

Charlie Weiss/Adrenal Studies
Potomac Animal Hospital
10020 River Rd.
Potomac, Maryland 20854

Here's to ferrets and improving medical options,
Sukie