Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 21:07:39 -0500
From:
Hi everyone,

The boys (Elliott, Hootie, Bentley, Myron, and Elvis the cat) and I are new
to this list and I look forward to reading and participating for a long
time to come.

I wish my first posting were less depressing.  Elliott (a shelter baby) is
approximately 3 years old and until a month ago has been the imp and lead
conspirator of my horde.  At that time he got what I assumed was an upper
respiratory infection which was treated by a vet who may or may not know
much about ferrets.  I had my worries about this man, but was unable to
see my regular vet for this visit or the subsequent visit.

Elliott was treated with Clavamox and seemed to be recovering nicely.  Over
the Thanksgiving holidays, I ended up rescuing a kit (Myron) in a Canadian
pet shop (I'll tell that story another time) and after 48 hours of
separation, I got lax and Myron met the rest of the boys.  No one seemed
to be the worse for wear and my regular vet was still out of town.  About
24 hours after Myron was inadvertantly integrated, Elliott began to be
noticeably lethargic.  I put it down to pouting/depression over a new kit
getting my attention, but decided to take him in to the other vet just to
be on the safe side.  The other vet said that he was still getting over the
infection and gave me another bottle of clavamox.

The lethargy didn't diminish and in fact became worse.  To the point
where when I went in to check on him last night (12/10) it took me nearly
5 minutes to rouse him.  I decided to take him to the emergency vet.  Her
initial diagonosis was lymphoma because 3 of his lymph nodes were enlarged.
A CBC showed normal values for red and white cells as well as
leukocites(sp).  She said it was possible he had contracted the flu even
though none of my other guys have any symptoms.  But that I should get
Elliott biopsied and get more blood tests.

My regular vet got back into town yesterday and I was able to set up an
appointment with him today.  His diagnosis was "possible insulinoma" and
he didn't seem too concerned about the enlarged lymph nodes.  Elliott is
scheduled for blood tests (after a 12 hour fast) a week from Tuesday.

So my questions are:

1. How likely is it that enlarged lymph nodes indicate lymphoma?

2. If the blood tests for insulinoma come back normal, should I insist on
   getting the lymph nodes biopsied?

3. If he has lymphoma what are the chances that chemo and steriods will
   put the cancer into remission?

4. What kind of quality of life can I expect for Elliot if we give him
   chemo?

I want to do what's best for Elliott, money isn't the issue.  But I don't
know enough, and my vet hasn't been as forthcoming as I'd like with
information to the above questions.

Any information and insight from you all either via e-mail or this
list would be gratefully appreciated.

Elliott - Gang leader
Hootie - The gentle lap sitter
Bently - Curiousity hasn't killed him yet, but that's 'cause I watch him
         like a hawk
Myron -  Perpetual motion machine, and
Elvis -  who thinks he's a ferret

Beth - Slave to the ravening horde