Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 09:01:08 -0700
From:
"Todd P. Cromwell III" <[log in to unmask]>
>Flagyl.  Flagyl must be administered exactly in the dosage the Dr.
>absolutely hate the stuff so, scruff them tight when you give it to them.

When my vet supposedly found giardia in my ferrets, she prescribed for my
ferrets Panacur (fenbendazole), distributed by Hoechst Roussel Vet.

You might ask your vet whether this might be an effective substitute for
Flagyl.  It bills itself as an anthelmintic, and says the chemical name is
methyl 5-(phenylthio)-2-benzimidazolcarbamate.  My ferrets tolerated weeks
of this with no apparent bad symptoms.  They thought it was a treat.  The
"carbamate" part of the name sounds alarming given Dr. Williams' warnings,
but I am not a chemist or vet so have no idea what sorts of combinations
are bad or good, and this is what my vet prescribed, and there were no
apparent ill effects, as I said.

My vet gave me a tube big enough for a horse (literally, box says it treats
one horse).  Her dosage was 0.5 ml for my male ferret and 0.2 ml for my
female, orally once for 7 days (and then I did another 7 day treatment on
her recommendation since they weren't entirely cleared up by the first
treatment).

Todd