Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 16:25:23 EST
Hi everyone

Its with deep sadness that I let everyone know that our mascot, Faith, has
gone to Rainbow bridge.

Faith came to us on May 10, 1997 - turned into the Portsmouth Humane Society
to be put to sleep.  She had lost most of her hair, but was one of the
sweetest, cutest ferrets I'd ever seen - she had a "mousey" face that made
your heart melt.

Faith had adrenal surgery but it was badly adhered to the vena cava and
debulking as much as possible was our only course of action.  She recovered
from surgery and settled in nicely as the "Queen Bee" of the shelter.  A
loving, gentle ferret with people - she was a lionheart with other ferrets -
holding off Buster (5.5 lbs) to her 1.2 lbs in defense of her favorite spot.

Her favorite thing was to discover another ferrets' cage open - she ate
a mix of Iams kitten, Totally ferret and Eukanuba kitten - so to find
Sabastians cage open (who only ate pro plan kitten) was like finding a
treasure trove of treats!  Or Kiai who only eats Kaytee Ferret Fiesta
(Ugh!) was wonderful!  To see this half bad bundle of energy happily
munching on another ferrets food was a joy.  Her zest and vigor was
wonderful to watch - but we knew it had to end.  Initially, the vet guessed
her age at 4, but later amended based on more information gleaned from the
Humane Society and teeth, etc brought her age to 6-7 last year.

Saturday Faith was fine - she was licking her people (favorite thing) and
walking/eating/drinking normally.  Sunday morning, we woke to an
uncoordinated, staggering ferret.  It wasnt insulinoma - her BG 2 weeks ago
was 95.  We think she had a stroke/brain "incident".  She was placed in a
cage with a false floor so we could put a heating pad in with her, as she
started having problems thermo regulating.  I gave her sub-q fluids and fed
her by syringe - she still seemed strong, but was unable to walk.  Monday
brought more problems and we took her to the vet.  She was treated as if
she had a stroke/embolism and more aggressive care was pursued.  But it
wasnt meant to be - Faith died at 10:45 am on Monday, Nov.  30th.  The vet
believes it was a combination of things - old age, the stroke and we had
known she had kidney problems.

She had the best I could give her for as long as she honored me with her
lovely, sweet presence.  Remembering watching this tiny sprite struggle
with a carrot squeak toy her size to dash across a room and carefully stash
in her spot, or the funny way she played, or so many things that were
unique to Faith - these are my only treasures now.

She was one of the many reasons I started sheltering - and will never be
forgotten.  Faith's foster mommy, Linda, who had the pleasure of meeting
her, will never forget her either.

For those that may wish to honor her - donate to a local shelter - She had
1 1/2 years of extra time that she wouldn't have gotten if not for a
shelter.  It doesn't have to be mine - just donate if you wish, in her
honor.

A grieving Shelter Mom says Good-bye to a very special little girl....See
ya around, Faith - we will meet again - and I will miss you until we do.

Lisa, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"