From:
Dan and Kathy Goodhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 22:10:54 EST
I have been hemming and hawing over this one for a while.  Not sure if
anyone will agree with my perception of a bad thing, I may be way off base
here - but I thought it might be worth mentioning, especially to you
California folk:

I received a "pre-copy" of the 1999 Ferrets Annual.  As with any ferret
magazine (Modern Ferret being the best (plug, plug), I started to read it
cover to cover, starting with the editor's introduction.

The article was entitled A Ferrety Initiation, by Russ Case, Managing
Editor.  Expecting the usual humorous story, I read on.  I was
disappointed, however, when the longest paragraph in this 7 paragraph
article described being bitten.  "..feisty ferrets latched onto the
skin..." "..two dangling ferrets...still clenching my skin in their teeth."
The next paragraph leads with "That was my initiation..."

I am very dissappointed in a ferret magazine that knowing the ongoing bad
press given to ferrets, especially one originating in the State of
California, would hand over on a silver platter just the amunition needed
by opponents everwhere, to show ferrets in a bad light.  I find it very
hard to comprehend how the Managing editor could choose such a negative
light to represent these endearing little creatures in.

Truth be known, my first experience with ferrets, which lead to the
immediate adoption of my little Czea-toe in 1989 did involve a bite.
However, if asked to describe the introduction, I had plenty to talk about
without even mentioning teeth.  When I adopted the worlds most perfect dog
(ok, mabey I am a little prejudice here :) ), my wonderful Nataya, she bit
me in the nose in puppy play, I still have a scar, but that was not the
focus of my first experience with her.  I still remember this wet nose,
wagging tail and slobbering tongue that couldn't figure out if she was
coming or going.  Don't even get me going on my first meeting with Guido
the cat!

I subscribe to several pet magazines, dog, cat, bird (now lets talk about
bites!  No offense bird people) and in none of them does anyone focus on
biting or nipping, unless it is the topic of the article.  Ferrets USA,
however, chooses to call this behavior normal in that because he was
bitten, the Managing Editor was "Initiated" into the world of ferrets.

I appeal to everyone who is able to contact Fancy Publications and ask that
this article be changed or withdrawn.  It is not my intention to slam
Ferrets USA or Ferrets Magazine.  Both give a wealth of information to
readers.  However, perhaps it would be adviseable that an actual ferret
person be on staff to help filter out the articles that are printed without
thinking or printed in ignorance.

Well, thats my two cents.  Have I been hemming and hawing over nothing?

My luv to the fuzzies!

Kathy Goodhart
Goodhart's Little Buddies
PO Box 8128
Cave Creek, Az 85327
(602) 465-9887

See us at www.ferretgoodies.com or www.ferretgoodys.com!

5-pound bag of Totally Ferret ferret food just $17.99, including shipping
anywhere in the continental US!  Shelters and Breeders contact us if you
would like to become dealers!

Ask us about the Diplo-Mat - the only sure protection against carpet
diggers!

Only the Best for Our Little Buddies!