From:
"Lisa Leidig - The Ferret Haven \"By-the-Sea\"" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 12:51:50 EDT
You wrote:
>This is very important to me...
>He seems to be very loving and all but he bits alot , is that due to maybe
>he can't see that well, When we first got Kitt , he seemed just fine, but
>as time went on he seemed to run into thing then it stoped and he didn't
>run into things unless we moved something around.  Almost as if he has the
>house memorized.  Could something really be wrong?
>Sarah,Slinky ,Kitt and Jeremy

Dear Sarah

I'm not a vet, but I have seen problems like Kitt's in the past.  It sounds
like he is going blind.  Its definitely worth a trip to the vet, since
there may be something missing from his diet causing the blindness or it
may be a condition that is irreversible, like retinal atrophy.  Blind
ferrets are not difficult to own, you just have to remember not to move
furniture around or startle him because he can't see you.

If he truly has lost his sight, then some little things to remember will
help you and Kitt.  Don't sneak up on him - announce your presence by
stomping your feet, clapping your hands, whistling, calling his name.
Never "swoop" down quickly and pick him up - talk to him as you approach.
Slowly introduce him to new rooms or environments - watch out for visual
dangers that he is unaware of.  To earn a new prospective, put on a
blindfold and try (with a helper!) to walk from the bedroom to the kitchen.

His color?  grey and white?  Silver is probably close, unless he has 4
white feet and what looks like a baby's bib - then he is a mitt.

Good luck with Kitt!!!

Lisa, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"