From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 17:09:08 EDT
Have you ever forgotten to change your printer settings, then printed a
picture in pure black and white?  What did it look like?  I've done it more
than a few times and the results are not at all useful; everything is
either black or white; no shadings; flat; no depth.

As very young children we learned right from wrong.  Either we could do
something or we couldn't.  It made life simpler for us knowing the
"correct" answer to every decision.  But by the time we became adolescents
it was almost impossible to teach us anything since we already "knew"
everything.

Finally as we got older we began encountering situations where it became
difficult to separate exact "right" from obvious "wrong."  In one
circumstance we found it best to do one thing; in a slightly different
circumstance, another.  We found that different people would do different
things in the same circumstances.  We began to mature and the world began
taking on shades of gray; much more interesting but much more complicated
too.

How did we learn to navigate through this complexity?  We did it by
listening and observing; seeing what others did in various circumstances
and examining the results.  Sometimes there were no others to learn from,
so we had to use our own judgment and learn from our own mistakes; not
always the most pleasant process.

Here on the FML we have a wide range of people and interests.  Some are
new-comers to the world of ferrets.  They are here to learn and, for a
while, will learn the ferret world as black and white.  It's normal.  I've
been there.

Then there are those who "know" everything.  They very readily tell anyone
who will listen what is right and what is wrong.  Woe be it to anyone who
disagrees with their world-view.  Yes, I've been there too and, am hopefully
out-growing it.

The last group, those who teach and learn, have matured to see the world in
shades of gray.  They are open to discussion and new ideas.  They realize
that to learn, they first must admit that they do not know.  Fortunately
this group is in the majority on the FML and they carry the learning
process forward for all of us.

To the first group I suggest that you overlook the flames and fights,
recognizing those as just people still maturing.  Look for, then listen to
the last group, but don't expect "black or white" answers to your
questions.  Many of their answers will begin with "it depends."

To the third group I plead, "Don't desert us." Most of us are here to
discuss and learn.  It was just a few short years ago that I finally woke
up and realized how little I know, yet need to know.  We need you."

To the second group, I'll say nothing.  No one in that group would listen
anyway.

Dick B.