From:
Debra Thomason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 19:58:58 -0500
I feel the need to clarify some issues in response to these items:

>When did Carrollton change their law?  I compiled the list <snip> when
>the group was first formed.  <snip> As recently as two years ago <snip>
>Carrollton still had anti-ferret laws.  <snip> Actually most cities in the
>Dallas Metroplex have some sort of law one way or another.  <snip> here is
>what I have found in my calls to animal control in the Metroplex North
>Richland Hills, Dallas, Coppell, Mesquite, Garland, Carrollton and Addison
><snip> are areas we know to specifically outlaw ferrets.

I have working with the club on legalization issues for 2.5 years, and in
association with other clubs in the state prior to that.  I base my
statements on what the cities' animal codes actually say and add animal
control comments to that where the code never specifically mentions
ferrets.  I do not know what Carrollton's code said at the time Elwin
Bullard did the list referred to.  I do know what it says now.  Ferrets are
not mentioned specifically anywhere.  It may be that they "consider"
ferrets exotics, but the law in no way defines ferrets as exotics, wild, or
otherwise restricted.  Animal control there definitely will tell folks that
ferrets are not allowed, but that animal control will not look to enforce
the ban until they get a complaint.  They would be in a poor position if
challenged in court.  I agree that Dallas, Coppell, Mesquite, and Addison
specifically (by the term ferret or by species name) outlaw ferrets.
Ferrets have been legal in Garland since February of this year.  There is a
per household license fee of $25 regardless of the number of ferrets kept.
North Richland Hills codes actually allow for ferrets, but with a $50 per
year license fee and such other ridiculous requirements that most
reasonably law-abiding folks will ignore them.

>On the other hand these cities specifically legalize ferrets:
>Ft. Worth, Plano, Austin, Bedford, Irving, Haltom City, Watauga, Richardson
>(as pets w/vaccinations).  Farmers Branch has no law one way or the other."

I agree with most of these as well.  I have no knowledge of Austin and
don't have a copy of Richardson code, though their animal control does
indeed say ferrets are allowed.  I also don't have Watauga code, but have
been told by a resident who read the code that ferrets were simply never
mentioned.  The problem in a city with no mention is that animal control
may fill that void with an unwritten policy and treat ferrets as illegal,
and the "policy" may change with animal control employees.  Also, if you
were to look at a copy of Bedford's whole code, you would think ferrets
illegal or unregulated (neither legal nor illegal specifically) at best.
However, if you know they were legalized in NOV 1992, you can request a
copy of the original ordinance from the city.  The original paperwork
stated it was "an ordinance to allow ferrets in the city of Bedford." All
they did was remove the word ferret in a list of animals following the
scientific family name.  It now says something like:
"Prohibited Animal: (C) Family Mustelidae (such as otters, skunks, badgers,
and weasels)" The word "ferrets" used to be inside the parentheses.

I want to encourage anyone who wants to know about their own city to visit
their city hall and obtain a copy of the complete animal code from the city
secretary.  At worst you may be asked to pay a nominal fee for copying,
$3-6 usually.  Read the code carefully.  There are any number of ways that
ferrets are written into code as illegal.  If no mention is made, then call
animal control and ask about the status of pet ferrets in that city.  Don't
be surprised if they don't know or if they tell you something different
than the code.  This is why it can be good to go to both sources, so you
know where you really stand.

Debra Thomason
Ferret Lovers' Club of Texas