From:
Kathleen Dodson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 22:41:54 -0700
I write this with tears running down my face for Pogo and family.  I am
truly sorry and my heart breaks for you.  I imagine most of us know what it
is like to lose an animal that somehow means almost more to us than out own
lives.  I know I shouldn't do this, but I will anyway...

My first little girl was the little angel that got me addicted to being
owned by little furry creatures with bandit faces and bubbly personalities.
I called her Hobson cause I thought she was a boy.  She won my heart with
kisses and cuddles the first time I picked her up.  She was the most
affectionate sweet little girl.  I took her home an hour after I met her,
the only thing I knew is that ferrets had always fascinated me.  Well now I
know why they say it is a good idea to understand ferrets and research them
as much as possible, because I knew nothing.  She filled our lives with her
frisky scampery chirpy ways and even though she has been gone over a year I
still miss her desperately.  She was also our escape artist, and managed it
three times only to be found or returned.  Finally despite my attempts to
keep her safe she escaped and encountered a dog on the loose.  We looked and
called all night and Chris found her in the AM.  I was horrified that she
should have to die that way and still feel horribly guilty.  There are many
things that I have learned since then and have had no further situations.

... but since then I always am very careful about walking out the door and I
always check dishwasher, washer and dryer obsessively and wont even start
them until I know where they all are.  Chairs are always away from windows
and tables, screens are all above fert jumping height, remotes are kept
high, rubber of any type and many types of shoes are out of fert reach.  I
keep plastic carpet runners sprinkled with cayenne pepper under the couch,
they no longer go under it now.  I keep screens and large river rocks on my
plants.  I keep all screen doors latched and locked.  Access underneath the
fridge is blocked and all dangerous materials are kept in latched drawers
and cupboards.

Well that is all that I can think of at this time.  Ferts definitely take
time, effort and money.  I don't encourage people to purchase them unless
they understand the committment involved.  So in response to is it a good
pet?  Of course, but they sure don't take care of themselves they require
love and attention and committment.  But when a ferret captures your heart
there is nothing else quite like it.

Well maybe I should get off my long soap box, guess I was attempting to
respond to too many things at once and I am going to see if it is possible
for me not to write for a few days as I have written 3 x this week, guess I
was in a desert before joing FML this week and have never really had the
benefit of the support network this provides for the care of my little
twits.  Thanks to all for all of the responses!!!!

Love Kathleen, Toby, Tasha, Dax ( who by the way was a vampire fert when I
rescued her and now not only is she safe but she even gives kisses) and
Alfie.