From:
Al Wiebe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 15:21:37 EDT
Lots of interesting ideas lately on using the Midwest brand three tier
cages.

We have one and have eliminated the hold-down clamps and allow the cage to
rest on its own weight on the rollable base.  As someone correctly stated,
they've not see ferrets strong enough to lift the cage off the base.

We line the cage with two or so sheets of newspapers (our two ferts use the
paper readily for their business), so arranged that about three or four
inches extend over the base edges.  Most papers are of convenient size
also.  At one end (about half the cage) we spread out a baby receiving
blanket (garage sales are great places to find these).  Then we lower the
cage on the papers and blanket.  What you have is a nice, easily cleanable,
securely placed liner.  The base never gets soiled to any degree.  We lift
off the cage each morning, roll up the papers, and renew them.  Simple,
clean, and neat.  (For those that like really neat paper flooring, use the
stock report or classified pages -- no pictures).  Periodically, we take
the base outdoors and scrub and hose it down.

We also have placed in one corner at the base level, but attached to the
cage with twistems, is a cat cube, that foot-square-face padded gadget with
holes on three faces.  The ferts love this.  A receiving blanket is placed
inside and they burrow into it to sleep.  During the cleaning process the
cube lifts off with the cage.  A hammock is suspended from the cage top and
is accessible from the upper shelf.  Ladders connect the base with the
lower shelf and the lower shelf to the top shelf.

The occupants seem happy with the arrangement.