Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 08:28:29 -0400
Hi Kathy,
Just a few things that have worked for us in the odor department

#1 was a GOOD litter that keeps smells from happening in the first place.
We use Ferret's Favorite Litter which is corn cob based.  We order it from
Denny Wubbena (who is on the FML).  It seems high in price, but you use
less because you get more volume for the same amount of weight, and it
doesn't have to be changed as often either.  This was the biggest factor in
our winning the war on odor (which my husband was not happy about, now I
never hear a complaint).  If you want to ask him for information on how to
get the litter his e-mail is: [log in to unmask] It has a nice fresh,
kind of grassy odor that is very pleasant.  I can't say enough good things
about it.

Also we clean the cage with a product called Life Tree - Fresh and Natural
Bathroom Cleaner with Tea Tree and Lavender.  It is a good disinfectant and
has a nice MILD fragrance.  We get it at the whole foods stores in the area.
Just make sure that the cage is totally dry before putting the ferrets back
in so they don't get into the cleaner (or any other cleaner for that
matter).

When I wash their bedding, hammocks etc..  I always dump in 1/4-1/2 small
box of baking soda with the laundry soap.  It really helps to pull the
odors out of the fabric - especially the ones that have synthetics mixed in
that hold the smells.

Good luck with your war on smell!