From:
"J. Matthew Saunders" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:26:46 -0400
Meghan writes:

>I do have one question, though.  A few times today he has woken up very
>suddenly from his sleep, jumped up, and started scratching his fur.  Has
>anyone else's ferrets done this?  I was just wondering..

Pretty much every ferret does this.  Ferrets seem to be itchy critters.
There is nothing to be concerned about unless he scratches himself raw or
unless the itchies are caused by fleas.  If your ferret is dark coloured
and you have trouble seeing any fleas you could get a flea comb from the
pet store.  The teeth are fine enough that they'll drag fleas out of the
coat.  If it is fleas, then some kind of flea regimen needs to start.

Michael writes:

>So my question is what do y'all recommend as far as hairball treatment?
>I'm just looking for info on what you use, how often you use it, etc.

During shedding time, mine get an inch strip of Petromalt every other day.
Other times I give it to them once a week.  I also use it as a treat fairly
regularly, but then only a very small amount.

On a personal note, how many of you out there have ferrets that in the
middle of playing will spontaneously lie down and then roll on their back,
two little front paws sticking up in the air.  It seems that our adopted
P.B. has taught Sherlock (our first ferret) this little trick.  It is very
cute and sometimes extremely funny.

Matthew.

The Arts in Technology--Creative Consulting and Contracting

J. Matthew Saunders (540)951-3090
[log in to unmask]   http://www.dogstar.org

"We have to work in the theatre of our own time,
with the tools of our own time" --Robert Edmond Jones