From:
Brandon Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 10:49:45 PDT
I am continually impresed by this lists overwhelming support for ferrets
and over-all each other.  But I must say I have to disagree with the
benevolent actions of the "Fairy Godmother".  While its wonderful to make
someone as truely happy as I know Meghan (sorry if it's spelled wrong) is
now, shouldn't the on going costs associated with careing for a ferret be
considered?

I certainly believe everyone has the best interests at heart, but what
happens when the ferret gets sick in a couple of months?  Either Megan or
the ferret will suffer, probably both.  I guess my point is that ferrets
are a commitment hopefully for years.  If people have to "scrape" the cash
together for the initial purchase to me it says they are not ready for the
finacial commitment of owning a fuzzy.

I certainly don't want to pick on this last "random act of kindness"
Kindness needs to be practiced more often, but seeing similar pleas from
other people on a regular basis does concern me.  I just hope people
consider all the options and make a decision they truely can commit to for
6 or more years.

I can not imagine a life without the fuzzy antics, and I do my best to
promote the little fuzzies, but when I'm asked I tell them about the commit
in time and money.  Yes it does discourage some people from ferret
ownership, but hopefully it makes the quality of the ferrets lives better.
And afterall good thing come to those who wait.

Again I'm sorry to those I'm sure I've offended, I really don't mean to be
a scrooge or grinch, I just want to do what I believe is right, if you
agree with me thanks, and if you don't please share with the group why you
don't that way hopefully a meaningful discussion can take place.  I'm
really not out for a flame war so please don't bother sending me private
mail.

Thanks for oppurtunity to share my two cents.

Brandon Phillips