From:
Kymberlie Barone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 23:29:58 -0400
>She has red inflamed skin around her chin and mouth, she also has what
>looks like little blackheads.  It does look quite sore but doesn't seem
>to bothering her too much

Janine,

I can say that without seeing your ferret, I'd bet that you've got nothing
to worry about.  A few ferrets that have come through the shelter, and one
of my own, have gotten this.  It's always the bottom lip, and it looks
almost like little tiny pin-pricks that bled, and yes, it can go down under
the chin.  Well, after panicking one day when my Patches (the First, now
frolicking at the Bridge) developed this, I took him to the vet.  Turns
out, it is nothing more than a result of the way that he ate.  He tended to
salivate while eating, and for whatever reason, the combination of the food
and the saliva on the chin, which apparently he didn't bother to wipe off
the way the other ferrets do, causes this "rash" type of result.

I can't say why the anus is red, but I also had a ferret (and a cat) with a
blue butt.  Never did figure out what that was all about, but it never
caused them any problems.

Oh, and all of the ferrets that I've seen the saliva rash on were white (at
least white headed, perhaps because I noticed it more on this color, not
sure.)

Kymberlie Becker Barone
Director
Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
"Forget Puppy Love... There's nothing greater than Ferret Love!"tm
http://www.ferretrescue.com

Looking for Ferret Love?  Try looking at your local ferret shelter.  These
kids have lots of love to give!  Math not striking?  You can still spread
Ferret Love by supporting your local shelter, dontations are always needed!