From:
Melissa Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 20:57:20 -0500
>Does anyone know what this is?  Is it something that could be dangerous
>to the ferrets?  And, if it is dangerous to the ferrets, could it be
>transmitted via the human touching the iguana then touching the ferret?
>Nancy Stephens

parents about is called salmonella.  I know that is probably mispelled, but
I couldn't find the dictionary;-) More than likely it is a bacteria, but I
am going to look it up to make sure.

Anyway, you can get it from poorly cooked or poorly prepared chicken, and
other kinds of poorly cooked food can be a source of it too.  Reptiles also
can be a carrier of it, but apperently it doesn't make them sick.  My vet
has a poster on her wall with a picture of an iguana and it says to wash
your hands after handling reptiles to protect your pets and yourself.  I
figured it was talking mainly about dogs and cats because that is the
mainstrean of pet ownership.  I really don't know if this is something that
ferts could get or not.  But I imagine if the ferret can be affected by it,
then it could be transferred from iguana to human to ferret, if the person
fails to wash their hands.

Other than that I don't know much about it.  I plan on getting out my
parents Medical dictionaries and check on it strickly out of curiosity.  If
anyone would like me to share what I find out just e-mail me.

Melissa Warren