Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 13:18:02 -0400
From:
"Bossart, Richard K" <[log in to unmask]>
It's been a while so for those of you who are not familiar with the topic
let me briefly summarize.

Earlier this summer the state of NH closed an unlicensed ferret shelter and
confiscated 21 ferrets who were in very poor condition.  The ferrets were
turned over to the Cocheco Valley Humane Society, who in turn contacted the
4 Li'l Paws Ferret Shelter for help.  The ferrets were given urgent vet
care and fostered to members of the New Hampshire Ferret Owner's Connection
(NHFOC) until disposition of the ferrets was decided by the courts.  The
unlicensed "shelter" operator pled "not guilty" at a preliminary hearing.
Trial was set for September 23.

All 21 ferrets had to be treated for internal parasites as well as ear
mites.  Paw pads were treated for infections that had resulted from their
unsanitary housing at the "shelter."  Numerous tumors and growths were
removed from faces, heads and necks, as well as cancers removed from
pancreases, and adrenal glands.  The vet bill approached $3000.  In spite
of the vet treatment, we lost four to serious illnesses.  Perhaps it could
be better said, BECAUSE of the vet treatment we ONLY lost four.  Every loss
was tragic though.

The survivors prospered at their foster families.  Many members of the
ferret community, and manufacturers and distributors of ferret products
responded with cash donations, food, litter, and hand-made ferret items.
At this year's Ferret Awareness Day, NHFOC sponsored a photo contest to
raise additional funding for the large outstanding vet bills.  More money
is needed, but now the good news:

Today I was notified by the Cocheco Valley Humane Society that the former
"shelter" operator changed her plea to guilty.  The ferrets will not be
returned to her!  As I get more news I'll post it.

We had a long uphill battle, but the ferret community united to provide
aid to these ferrets.  I'd just like to say "Thank you," to everyone who
contributed or who sent their prayers for these ferrets.  They couldn't
have made it without you.

Dick B.