From:
Gail Shochet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 13:18:06 -0400
Okay, I mostly lurk but I feel compelled to add my .02.

It is my distinct impression that Julie was simply pointing out that if
your ferret is having a medical problem and you want everyone to read the
post you should make it as clear and easy to understand as possible.  I did
not interpret is as Julie saying that 'ferretspeak' is bad per se, just
that it may be skipped by many people who only have a few minutes to scan
the FML, quickly, for anything useful or urgent.  I am one of those people.
If I have a half hour to read and respond to my personal email then I am
having a very good day.  Please feel free to post in any manner which you
see fit (assuming it passes BIG's criteria).  Just be aware that many of us
speed-read the FMS and we may not stop to decipher a 'ferretspeak' post but
simply assume that it is not urgent but merely intended to amuse.

We are a diverse community and there are many reasons why each of us reads
the FML.  Please let's not waste BIG's time and bandwidth sniping at each
other about whether or not baby talk on the FML is appropriate or not.  It
is NEITHER--it just is.  Remember that first and foremost we are here to
serve as a forum for ferret owners to share information and assist each
other when that is possible.

Regards,

Gail Snyder Shochet
Elie, Pixel, Kiaya, Pepe, and Scully