From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:45:32 -0400
Um...OK.  I suppose you could *try*! :)  Actually, I have some ideas.  You
might want to try the following:

1) If there is a Wal-Mart with a photo processing, ask them if they have a
few of the cardboard cylinders that their paper comes on.  These tubes are
easily large enough to allow the passage of a frisky fert.  You can even
wad up some newspaper and stuff it in one end to make a little "cave" for
them to hide things in!

2) If you buy eggs in the paper cartons, leave a few around on the floor.
For some reason, my ferts love to steal the ones my daughter saves for her
craft projects.  They don't tend to chew them, but even if they did, it's
only paper, so there shouldn't be much of a concern.

3) Get some large, plastic Easter-style eggs (the bigger, the better) and
put some pennies in them.  If they are large enough, it will discourage
them from opening them up to get at the pennies.  You can also put a few
tiny blocks of wood that have been soaked in ferretone overnight.  Even
though the egg appears to be sealed to *human* senses, the fuzzbutts can
quite easily sniff the yummy smells from inside!

4) Get a rawhide chew toy and soak the ends in ferretone for a few days.
Tie a heavy, elastic cord around the middle and dangle from a sturdy
support.

5) Again, if you live near a Wal-Mart, buy a case of bathroom tissue (Scott
has the better bargain).  Remove the tissue from the case by cutting a hole
in the center of the plastic cover that is just large enough to pull the
tissue rolls out.  Leave the box, plastic and all, inside the ferret room.
Mine love to get inside and have wrassling matches!

6) Get a small box of Lincoln Logs (available at most large toy stores) and
scatter them around.  They are small enough for the ferts to pick up and
carry around (why they do this, I can't tell you), yet are made of wood so
they are safe.

7) Find all of your mis-matched socks and jeans that have been worn out.
Place them strategically throughout the room.  Don't worry...they won't
need instructions on how to use these.

8) Consider getting a large plastic tub (if you can get one with sides at
least a foot high or better, this would be best) and fill it with several
inches of clean play sand.  Make ramps leading up to the sides from both
inside and outside.  To make a ramp, get some scraps of plywood from your
local lumber supply store.  Get some carpeting scraps from your local
carpet store that installs carpet.  Using a sanding block, smooth all edges
and surfaces of your plywood scraps.  When finished, use a hot-glue gun to
attach the carpeting to both sides of the wood.  Trim any excess carpet,
then hot-glue the edges to seal them.  You may want to attach the two
pieces by gluing a piece of scrap carpet between the two.  Leave an inch or
so to allow flexibility.  This way, the fuzzies can climb in and out
easily!

9) Get a large, foil roasting pan from the store (most large supermarkets
carry them for just a few dollars).  Place four old, clean towels on the
floor, with the corners of all four towels touching in one spot.  Place the
roasting pan in the middle, then fill with water.  You can place some extra
towels around nearby for the fuzzies to lay on or snuggle into after
swimming.  Remember to change the water daily.  You may wish to place a
large rubber mat under the four towels to prevent water damage to the
floor.

10) Get a large plastic container of pretzels (you can get them at Staples
for about $6), empty the pretzels (you will have to eat them!) and place a
few small toys inside.  Securely tighten the lid and place container on
it's side in the fuzzbutt room.  The noisier the toys, the more they should
play with it!

I realize that these aren't very many idea, but they are pretty inexpensive
and doable by almost anyone! :)

Todd and the (I wonder what the phone number is to Ferts R Us...) Fuzzbutt
Rodeo Clowns!

---
"users.success.net/toddl/"