From:
Linda Prowse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 08:19:13 -0700
Hello friends,

Last Friday, my Casper got out of my house, and was killed by 2 dogs.
Before I go into what happened, there are 2 points that I want to make.
I'm sure most of you know these "ferret rules", however they need to be
reinforced from time to time.  It might save your ferret's life.

First, if you make any changes to a room or an area that your ferret goes
into, think really hard about how that change effects the ferret proofing
of that room/area.  Is the change something that could potentially harm
your ferret?  Is the change something that will allow your ferret to get
into something they shouldn't or get outside?

Second, "nose-count, nose-count, nose -count"!!  When your fuzzies are out
playing, and you are occupied with other things, please make sure you check
on the fuzzies at least every 15 minutes.  Do a nose-count to make sure they
are all safe.

If I had carried out these 2 "ferret rules" last Friday, my Casper would
still be alive.

This is the tragic story.  Last Thursday, it rained really hard here for the
first time in about 2 months.  I decided to go out to our ferret-proofed
sundeck, and take down a couple of hanging baskets and put them on the deck
so they could get some rain.  The next morning, the baskets were still on
the deck.  I opened the sliding glass door to let the fuzzies out on the
sundeck as I usually do while getting ready for work.  I thought about the
baskets on the deck, and figured that the worse the fuzzies will do is
start digging in them - not a big deal.  When I finished getting ready for
work and wanted to leave, I looked out on the deck and checked the little
ferret house we have out there, and say no ferrets.  With that, I shut the
sliding glass door and left for work.

Here's what probably happened to Casper.  While I was getting ready for
work, Casper must have gotten on top of one of the baskets I had put on the
deck.  This gave him just enough height so he could hook his claws on the
plywood that goes around the deck that keeps the fuzzies in.  He pulled
himself up, then squished himself through the slats that go up to the
railing.  From there, he would have dropped about 4 feet, then started his
exploring.  He walked through 5 neighbours' yards, crossed a street, then
went towards a neighbour's house where 2 big dogs live behind a chain-linked
fence.  Casper was the friendliest ferret I have ever met, and I swear he
probably went to those dogs thinking that they would play with him.  The
dogs' owner found Casper dead in her yard, then came over to our house on
Friday to give us the bad news.  We buried Casper on Saturday at a nice
little creek about 40 minutes form our house.

I keep thinking of the "if only's".  Like, "if only I hadn't put those
baskets on the deck, Casper would still be here ... if only I had checked
properly and nose-counted before going to work to make sure all my fuzzies
were safe, Casper would still be here ... if only Casper had turned to the
right instead of going left towards the dogs' house, Casper would still be
here".  *tears*

So please, really take those 2 "ferret rules" mentioned at the beginning of
this post to heart.  I would like to think that maybe if people read these
rules and apply them, it might help save one fuzzy and then Casper's death
will not have been in vain.

Linda, Scamp, Shreddy, Waddy, and sweet angel Casper
 "See you at the Bridge, sweety.  Love, mum"

Linda Prowse