From:
Sandra King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 11:51:00 EDT
Hop-a-Long is the ferret that I adopted at the end of July that I thought
might have ECE due to his yellow water poops and anorexia.  Turns out that
none of the others have shown any symptoms, so I guess it was a *major*
stress reaction.  He, after 1 1/2 months of forced feedings and 3 different
medicine cycles, has finally moved into the big cage.  His leg has healed
nicely, although it is about 3/4 inch shorter than the other ;o), and he
has started shedding for the winter.  His next problem to face is a blue
bump on his hip area.  He goes back to the vet Monday for his second set of
shots and will discuss removal.

Snuffles is my 6 or 7 year old *fat* little girl that had undergone an
adrenalectomy last August and is now suffering thru hypoglycemia, aka
insulinoma.  August 6 her blood glucose was 25.6.  She had a real bad
episode last Thursday--took 5 cc's of sugar water and 1 hour to get her
to the "drunk" stage.  Usually takes 1-2 cc's and 5-10 minutes to come
completely out of it.  She had another episode Monday and another on
Wednesday.  From Monday til now, she has been unable to walk a straight
line--some times are more straight than others, but never a straight line.
I took her with me to work Thursday night and did another glucose check--
52.5.  I have upped her pred from 0.5 cc's BID to 0.75 cc's BID and it
seems to be helping a *little*.  Since this is my first insulinoma ferret,
I do not know how things go as the problem progresses.  I know that every
animal will present differently, but what happens towards the end of their
life?  Do they stay in this "drunk" stage constantly, or should she be
doing a little better?  Any input from those of you that have had an
insulinoma ferret for the duration would be appreciated.  She also goes to
the vet Monday for her vaccines and will talk to the Dr about what to do
with her.  Granted, treating insulinoma in one animal is akin to treating
it in another, but this vet doesn't have all that much experience w/
ferrets--he's learning from mine.  He actually listens to what I have to
say as far as finding info from the 'net, and is quite open to
suggestions...

Sandy