From:
Matt and Sara Byk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 13:16:33 -0400
Hi, Barb, and everyone else.  I'm Sara, I haven't been on this list very
long but I'm active in alt.pets.ferrets newsgroup.

I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles - your family is in our thoughts and
prayers.

It's my understanding that ECE is a virus.  Antibiotics are given to prevent
secondary infections, because if a fert was hit with both at once his
chances for survival would go way down.  But antibiotics don't have any
effect on the virus itself.  It's up to the individual's immune system to
handle that.

You can help your ferrets' immune systems by providing warmth, rich food,
and TLC.  (It sounds like you're already doing this - kudos. :)  It's also
important to treat the symptoms, as you already know, to lessen the stress
on their bodies.  You can help prevent a relapse (ferret seems almost
better, then diarrhea starts again) by keeping their areas extra clean -
wash their bedding daily with bleach, vacuum or scrub the floors, clean the
cages with bleach-water, etc.  A dilute bleach solution will kill the virus
and this will help prevent re-infection.  You might also try pairing them
off (established pairs are best) or keeping them separated if they can
tolerate that without added stress; this will also help keep them from
re-infecting each other.  Sometimes the stress of being apart from their
friends is too much, though, so if you try this keep a close eye on them.

Best of luck!

-Sara.