From:
Deba Brezden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 21:13:59 -0600
Howdy Fertfolks and Fuzzel Kids ;o)

Ferris sez dookdook as always, and insists we point out that HIS OWN
prostate is doing just fine thanks ya very much! :o)  And in reply to a
recent post stating he didn't have one (below), we've excerpted a small
portion of Dr. Bruce Williams "Ferret Pathology Page" which would appear
to drastically disagree with that idea, and apparently most aptly prove
that both the poster and the poster's vets are simply WRONG!

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: re Margret Merchant
>
>Ferrets don't have prostates! At least thats what I have always been
>told by my vets?  :)

Soooooo, From Dr. Williams, Ferret Pathology Page . . .

Prostatic Squamous Metaplasia

Synopsis: Squamous metaplasia of the prostate has only recently been
recognized as a common cause of dysuria and urethral blockage in the
ferret.  The squamous change in the prostate is the result of excess
estrogens liberated from proliferative adrenal lesions

Accumulation of secretory material and lamellated keratin results in the
formation of multiple prostatic cysts.  Impingement of the prostatic cysts
upon the prostatic urethra results in dysuria,and finally complete urinary
blockage in male ferrets.  The bladder of blocked ferrets may be manually
expressed, but ferrets cannot void on their own.  In earlier literature,
due to the close association with the bladder, the condition was referred
to as the "triple bladder syndrome".  Surgery is directed toward removal of
prostatic cysts and the affected adrenal.

Gross lesions: Single to multiple, variably-sized fluctuant cysts are
present near the bladder trigone.  The cysts are thick-walled, and firm
on palpation.  Identification of an enlarged adrenal gland or an adrenal
neoplasm is often possible in these animals.

Microscopic lesions: Multiple cysts or fragments of cysts are often
available for examination.  Atrophic prostate glands (as a result of the
effects of circulating estrogens) are often present at the periphery of
the cysts, although in advanced cases, they may be lined by squamous,
rather than glandular epithelium).  The wall consists of multiple layers
of squamous epithelium, surrounded by variable amounts of immature fibrous
connective tissue.  The lumenal contents of the cyst may vary from
lamellated keratin and keratin debris, to abundant purulent inflammation
(in which case there is often a combination of chronic-active inflammation
and granulation tissue in the cyst wall and prostate (overeager manual
expression of the bladder?).

And we pray God's Grace and Mercy for all of da FML crew.

Ferris "Whew, tanks goodess fer Doc Williams or I'ds been prostateless!"

and his mom
DC Brezden