From:
Roberta Ensor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 22:37:13 EDT
I never realized how well trained we are as ferret owners.

We had a friend's little girl (11 yrs old), Theresa, spend the weekend with
us.  She adjusted well to our routines, loved playing with the ferrets, and
even helped out feeding Mr. Magoo his insulinoma soup.

She is the youngest in her family and is still learning about pitching in
and doing something without being told.

When Mr. Magoo woke up and rattled the cage door, we told her that's how he
lets us know he wants out to play, and we asked her if she'd like to let
him out.

When Bandit ran up to Theresa dancing and dooking, my husband, Gene, told
her that's Bandit's way of saying lets run and play.  Again, a ringing
phone is answered unless it's dinner time (we both have aging parents so we
answer our phone if we are home), the buzzer means your cookies are done
and you need to take them out of the oven, etc.

When Theresa was helping make waffles for Sunday breakfast, she just stood
by the waffle maker while it dinged that it was done.  She made no move to
remove the waffles, obviously not used to a waffle maker dinging at her.

My husband looked at Theresa and said "Don't just stand there.  If it
rattles, rings, buzzes, dings or dooks, you're supposed to do something!"

I couldn't stop laughing.  But he is right.  As a ferret owner if it
rattles, rings, buzzes, dings or dooks, you do something!  Heaven knows
what your little ones may have gotten into.

Roberta
Maine