From:
Chere McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 22:43:48 EDT
Dear Friends,

At 10:30PM EDT Saturday 25 September 1998, Ferret Friends Disaster Response
International moved from Disaster Alert to DISASTER RESPONSE status for the
state of Florida due to Hurricane Georges.

We have one confirmed shelter in distress i.e. "Ferrets in Paradise Rescue
and Adoption" located in Marathon Shores, Florida (run by Karla Franck, a
CVT).  We have had contact with Karla, she and the animals moved to a safe
location but have no power, water, etc.  Due to the current conditions
Karla will not be able to check on her home/shelter until all rain bands of
Hurricane Georges have dissipated.

Several shelters in the Keys - no contact whatsoever.

Hurricane Georges continues to move in a horribly destructive pattern and
at this time it is building in both speed and intensity, threatening more
shelters in his path.  Hurricane Georges projected at this time to move up
the West Coast of Florida and striking anywhere from the Panhandle of
Florida to the Texas Coast.

Please begin to gather the following supplies: Nutrical, Pet Tonic,
Laxatone (A.K.A. Catlax), Bach's Rescue Remedy (both liquid and salve),
Pet First Aid Kits, Old sweat shirts, towels, and pillowcase's (that can
be used for bedding), Collars and leash's (they don't have to be new),
Portable cages (these don't have to be new, but must be in good Condition).
What will be needed will be basic supplies so keep that in mind.  Don't
think that you have to go out and buy something new - you may have
something on hand that you can send to a shelter that is in need, gather
up what you have and be ready to send it.

Within the next 24 - 72 hours we will post on our web site at:
http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~ferretma/ffdri1.html
address'  where these supplies will need to go.

Everyone please continue to monitor the Weather Channel for the latest
update on this Hurricane.  For those in the proposed strike areas: activate
your Disaster Plan NOW!

Keep the Children of Fur, Feathers, Scales, Shells, and Hooves Safe

Chere McCoy
Director, Ferret Friends Disaster Response International