Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 20:57:32 -0000
From:
George Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Liane

It depends where in the UK you are relocating to.  Ferrets are very common
as working animals in the north of england and consequently the vetinary
care, facilities etc are just a bit better than those we experience in the
south of england.  For example, most pet stores in the north of england
stock leather ferret harnesses.  We have to order them in the south and
even then we get blank stares.

Our Vet that deals with our cat has to use a reference book to help out
with the ferrets, and so far, we haven't located a vet to doctor our male
and female before they get too frisky in the spring!

Your other problem is quarantine.  I'm afraid that youw ill have to be
parted from your 12 fuzzies for six months while they undergo rabies
quarantine.  THere are plans affoot to stop this dreadful practice for cats
and dogs etc.  We had to leave our cat and dog in the USA as we knew that
they wouldn't survive the quarantine.  First you have to find a kennel
willing to take your 12 ferrets, then you will be allowed to visit at least
once a day.  The bad news is that I really don't know how easy it will be
to find a registered kennel that can deal with ferrets.  I suspect that
there isn't one.  You won't be able to look after them during that time,
so if they are special needs, you will have to think very seriously about
this.  It will also cost you a fortune.  Six months in a kennel - well, you
can work it out - bear in mind that its pretty expensive in the UK.

I'm sorry to be such a wet blanket, but facts is facts.  Basically if you
can't locate a kennel that is registered to take ferrets for six months
quarantine, you can't bring your fuzzies with you.  If you find a kennel,
then you will be parted from your fuzzies for six months and it will cost a
great deal.

:-(

alexandra and george

owners of Ralph (like hey, food man) and Trixie (see, I've got teeth!)