Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 12:09:18 -0400
From:
Lauren Yeany <[log in to unmask]>
Hey there!
I am a fourth year Horticulture student, so I thought I would put in my two
cents about poisionous plants and ferrets.  Personally, I keep plants in my
house that are poisionous, but I just don't let my ferrets reach them (i.e.
high off the ground and no "stepping stones" around).  There are extensive
lists of plants that are poisionous to animals, but this doesn't mean you
should throw out these plants or avoid buying them.  Remember that ferrets
are carnivores and many won't want to eat your plant.  They just want to
dig in the soil and make a big ferret sized mess!!  If they start chewing
on the leaves, put the plant out of reach!  Now, the websites I have listed
below don't have the toxicity level of the plants they list.  Toxicity
heavily depends on how much your pet weighs and how much it ingests.  If
you are concerned after watching your pet try to shread your poor plant,
call the Poision Control Center and ask.  Just beware...the charge an arm
and a leg!

Here are some helpful websites:

www.cybrtyme.com/personal/dogpak/poision.html
  -this one is very extensive, but lacks pictures and toxicity levels
www.library.uiuc.edu/vex/toxic/comlist.htm
  -long lists of poisionous plants along with pictures (also fails to have
    toxicity levels)
www.cvm.uiuc.edu/CEPS/PetColumns/Poisionous_Plants.html
  -has a small amount of interesting information

Lauren Yeany
"My Brain Hurts!" - Monty Python's Gumby Man