Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 08:44:20 -0400
From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
So few people out there know about ferret shelters and breed rescue.  Does
anyone think it would be a bad idea to run a little story in a weekly ad
paper about ferret shelters and breed rescue?  A general "Why older animals
make good pets and where you can get them" sort of thing to include the
fact that ferret shelters do exist, breed rescue does exist, what to expect
when contacting, mention fostering if you want help sort of thing.  I've
never seen this done and wonder if there's a reason.  I got my dog from
breed rescue and almost everyone that asks about my dog has never heard of
it.  (Any future ferrets will come from a shelter).  Breed rescue (I'm sure
its out there for cats and birds too) is in the same boat - too many
animals for too few foster homes and too few people adopting.  I think more
people would think about it if they only knew.  I put up signs if the pet
stores and at the vets.  This has resulted in some turn ins but few
adoptions.  It drives me crazy that everyone wants a puppy or a kitten or a
kit.  I talked a family at work into adopting a dog from the shelter who
was 1.5 yrs old and they are now convinced its the way for a busy working
family to go as he has been easy/wonderful.

What do you all in "the business" think?

Mary, Booker and the fuzzbutts Boris and Giesela