Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 20:25:57 -0400
From:
Cindy Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Everyone!

On Saturday I picked up two male ferrets on behalf of the Ferret Aid
Society of Toronto because these ferrets were dumped at a local pet store
in my neighbourhood.  Other than sevear ear mites which are being treated
and long nails these boys are in really good shape.  They are staying with
me for a 2 week quarintine period, then to the shelter for adoption.

There was very little information provided by the people who dropped the
ferrets off at the pet store but one item that distubes me is the fact that
they had been fed hampster food and dog food their entire lives.  (approx
2-3 yrs)

I have them on Totally Ferret mixed with Mazuri and am supplementing them
twice per day with a mash that has lots of vitamns etc in it but my qestion
is this:

What are the long term possible defects they could suffer from because of
this diet?  I realize that their bodies must be so lacking in Taurine but I
am wondering exactly what this means?  I know they need it and that lack of
Taurine has been proven to increase the incidenses of cancer in cats, but I
do not know how this may apply to ferrets.  Is it the same?

Currently their mash consists of AD, Kibble Gravey, Timmy's, Pet Tinic,
Shark Cart, Nurti-stat and Brewers Yeast.  Anyone think there is anything
else I should add due to this poor diet for so long?  They are not
underweight but they are sadly lacking in any muscle tone.  Oh, and by the
way, they are eating like crazy...no problems feeding them.

Any ideas around this would be appreciated.  I just want to make sure I am
giving them the best care I can.

Thankx for reading this,
Cindy Smith
Footsie, Oakley and Lancelot and our guests the two incredebly irristable
Casper and Shadow