Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 12:34:57 EDT
From:
Signe Peerson <[log in to unmask]>
Could the vets/experts out there please tell me more about why rabies and
distemper shots shouldn't be given at the same time?  My ferrets have
gotten their shots simultaneously in the past, but the vet wasn't a ferret
expert.

I recently suspected one of my ferrets might have adrenal disease (he's
been behaving "romantically" although he's a gib), and was referred by two
Madison, WI vets to a third vet as being the local ferret expert; yesterday
she gave my possible-adrenal ferret both shots together when he went in for
a check-up.  I e-mailed a message about this to a friend who runs an area
ferret shelter, and she e-mailed back that the shots should not have been
given together....then I read another posting regarding this on today's
FML.  My friend said that the shots should be given at least four days
apart, so if there's a reaction I would know which shot caused it.  I
didn't realize reaction(s) could occur that long after a shot.  I'm going
to get back to my friend on this, but would also appreciate it if anyone on
the FML would help enlighten me further.

Has anyone out there actually experienced reactions coming up to four days
after the shot(s)?  If so, what form could such a reaction take and how
should it be handled?  We'll be leaving for eight days in Colorado later in
the week...what should I tell my pet-sitter to look out for (she's not a
ferret expert although she knows and plays with my ferrets)?  What should I
look out for in the meantime?....my ferret seems fine so far.  (The vet's
attitude on adrenal was basically "we can wait and see", since he has none
of the other signs, although I'll probably have the Tennessee blood panel
test done when we get back.)

Thanks much for any and all advice.