From:
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 10:18:43 -0700
>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Show ban unjustified or not?

This is a comment springing from the two opposing comments but I think it
is aimed brouadly enough that I hope BIG allows it as it isn't a part of
tit for tat sniping between un-named snipers.

Reading this information doesn't change my understanding.  If the sponsor
chooses not to let the "offending party" get a table again is different
than "banning" them.  I would recommend actually talking to an attorney
before deciding how much risk your organization is at in trying to "ban"
someone from a public event, especially for "rudeness".  Your organization
probably doesn't have as much leeway as you think.  I haven't changed my
opinion that too many shows are trying to ban too many people.  If its not
a ban but only that you aren't letting the other anonymous have a table
anymore that could be different, but rudeness is still a dangerously minor
"crime" to react so severly.

The ONLY ban I know of for a person from a show that I actually agree with
at this point was one I was involved in.  A person enterred the same ferret
as a kit over an entire year, merely changing the birthdate on each entry
form.  That person was banned from showing - not attending nor buying table
space.  That though still could have been dangerous legal grounds but at
least there was a charge other than rudeness.

If shows do want to be able to ban people I suspect that they might have
to actually publish a list of "crimes" and their "punishments".  The
current non-system in place seems far too capricious.  (I have goats I can
use that word <grin>) There are lawyers that would probably be willing to
advise on the cheap.  Talk to them.  A lawyer will either be willing to
help, heck if you are a non-profit he/she can write off his/her services
on his/her taxes, and won't charge you for asking if he/she can help.

>From:    zauberin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: PETA response to ferret question in Jane Magazine

PeTA <cringe>

I get bit far more often by our cats than our ferrets.  Had to put ear mite
medicine in the ear of the cat that took up residence with our goats.  Got
abandoned by someone else at our "farmette".  A week later I'm still
looking at torn up hands.  It took both Diane and me to try to do this.
Not a prayer of getting this cat to a vet without much bloodletting.

Yeah give me a "designer Lynx".  Its just as accurate.

I'll stick with weasels.

There are far more cats than ferrets in shelters but it is safe to say
thousands of ferrets passing through shelters every year.

Someone else might know that page to cite where LIFE has published data
originally computed by Dr Freddie Hoffman...

-bill

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/