From:
Brandon Burt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 16:19:27 -0600
We haven't got one for Baldrick the ferret yet, but our two cats have
subcutaneous ID microchips implanted.  From what I understand, the chip
will register a numeric code when a cat, or possibly a ferret, is scanned
with the appropriate instrument.  This code is the key for that cat's
(ferret's) record in a national database.  The record contains our name,
address, phone number, and other pertinent information, so that if one of
them ever gets lost and ends up at the pound, animal control authorities
will know how to get hold of us.

I wasn't aware of any global positioning system for ferrets OR cats.  It
would be nice if I could get some sort of handheld device with an indicator
that points toward a cleverly-camouflaged ferret.  Even better: a fashion
ferret pin which sounds an alarm whenever its wearer comes within ambushing
distance of a rowdy carpetshark.  ["Warning.  This is a FerretAlert.  There
is a risk of serious toe nibbling in Sector 756-G!  Please cover your
ankles and proceed with caution."]

-Brandon
+ Baldrick (who thinks it might be fun to emit a high-frequency radio
signal.)