From:
Deba Brezden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 05:11:15 -0600
Hey Ho FML ;o)

Ferris sez ta all fuzzles - stop dookin fer a minute - close yer eyes - and
imagine me - gibbin ya a BIG FUZZY HUG!  An ta all da fertfolks - ya kin
close yer eyes an imagine - BIG WET SMOOCHIES!

We simply had ta share our own terrifying experience on this one . . .

>From:    "Randall R. Duke" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: heart worms & etc
>One more thing and I'm out of here My husband smokes and when she can
>Wheezer will get into the ash tray and just roll around in cigarette
>butts and ashes . Anyone else have a ferret with such a nasty habit?
>She loves it.

Oh please PLEASE - DO NOT LET HER!!!!  Quite apart from the "ashes" being a
"respiratory" problem themselves, should she breathe them in, as well as
an "irritant" to their eyes, there's truly an incredible danger from the
"butts" themselves.  I too am quilty of being a smoker, and while I have
NOT ever allowed a situation where any of my ferts have ever had access to
any "ashtrays" in my home, I have had the awful misfortune of encountering
another problem due to my smoking habit.

You see, I "roll" my own cigarettes, using a small machine, tobbacco and
"rolling tubes", and while I have always been careful of the "tobbacco"
itself never being within fert reach, knowing the possibility and terror of
"nicotine poisining" existed if my fuzzles ever ate any of it, I'd at the
same time, never considered the little box of tubes a danger to them and
used to leave it on a table, closed but none the less in reach of my
darling, that is until the day that my sweet Ferris decided to suddenly
take an interest in da box, needless to say, the fact it had been closed
was irrelevant, and Ferris had it open in no time, and immediately took to
chowing down on the "fiberglass filter" of one of the tubes!!!  I can NOT
tell ya how I thank GOD that I heard the commotion and arrived there in
time to see what was going on, and I knew right away that he was most
definetly in danger of the filter causing an obstruction!  I also thank
God that my immediate response of giving him a few doses of vasoline was
sufficient to assist him in passing that filter material, BUT, it very
easily could have meant a surgery to save my darling's life, were it not
entirely for the Grace of God in the matter saving us the terror, spite
perhaps my own deserving it, fer not being careful enough with my tubes,
as you can imagine, I have NOT wasted that second chance God gave me in
the matter, and I DO ALWAYS NOW, make very sure that Ferris NEVER has an
opportunity to injest ANY of the materials related to my own bad habits!

I'm sharing this story, NOT to come down on anyone, but rather only in a
hope that my mistake may now save someone else from making the same very
serious error.  Now you may be inclined to defend your situation, and to
state perhaps that in your case you are "watching" and that there's no
way the fert could injest any of the filters, and that may even be true,
HOWEVER, I would answer you this, that if a fert is allowed to develope
some habit, be it rolling in ashtrays or another, it's likely to carry out
that habit continually, and as such, there is "possibility" that a day will
come when her fuzzle does so when ya aren't watching, and as a result DOES
decide on that one occasion to "eat" a butt, and believe me, PLEASE, it
only takes a second fer them to do so, and if in fact you're very confident
that the fuzzle "won't" ever eat one, then you are likely NOT going to
assume it has if it does, and so perhaps will not be as in our case, so
very fortunate as to immediately treat the fert to prevent the obstruction
from occurring and doing any damage, and instead will be in a situation
where you only realize what's occurred when it's too late and yer babe is
in surgery to save it's little life.  AND that's also of course assuming
that an obstruction is all you'll have to deal with and that the fert has
not in fact suffered from nicotine poisining, which we would like to point
out here, doesn't take a great amount of nicotine to accomplish, indeed if
you care to check you'll find there is also a very high instance of "human
babies" which suffer nicotine poisining from the injesting of cigarette
butts from ashtrays each year as well!  Thus if a butt contains enough
nicotine to poisin a "child" then surely it can do the same with a much
smaller in size ferret.

All I'm saying here is if ya follow the "murphy's law" rule and assume that
if something bad can happen it just might, prevention is the best and only
way of truly assuring that it dosen't!  It's my sincerest hope that in
sharing this we shall serve to save any others from that same predicament
which we found ourselves in.  The simple, truthful fact is, cigarette,
cigar, products are a danger to ferrets.  And we pray we have prevented you
from finding that out the hard way as we did!

Ferris "But I likes fiberglass mom! Oh no, NOT more vasoline again!!"

and his OH SOOOOO Grateful To God mom
Deba Brezden