From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 21:51:15 -0400
The kitten in the hammock made me think to write this for newbies.  Its
quite simple to make your own hammock to size.  I take the size I want it
to end up across the cage longwise and almost triple it.  Cut one long
piece each fuzzy fake lambswool and outside material including 3/4" for a
"margin".  Sew together (3/4" margin), turn inside out and stitch the end
closed.  Fold into not quite thirds (so the top fold doesn't quite reach
the bottom fold end) and stich along each side to the end.  Stitch along 1"
in or so along the folds ( for dowel sticks to stick through).  Use dowel
sticks that fit through your cage bars, running through this last sewed
part.  The triple fold thing allows sort of a cubby sack effect so they can
get inside or lay on top.  The really tough part is you have to hand sew
the part where its a triple layer as its too thick for sewing machines.
Still it can be done either with a machine in one night in front of the
tube or two nights by hand.  I have quite a large one.  Unfortunately I
used polar fleece and fake lambswool and I think its too hot most of the
time (would be good for an adrenal ferret though) as they actually end up
under a double layer.  I know thats clear as mud but if I can figure it out
anyone can!

Mary