From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 1998 08:45:14 EDT
FOUND FERRET

A ferret was found in a park in the Montclair/West Orange area of NJ.  It
is in good health, about 4 years old.  If you have lost one, let me know.
It is currently residing in a shelter that is not a ferret shelter.  (All
the ferret shelters in NJ are PACKED) I have spoken to its primary caregiver
at the shelter who seems very ferret knowledgeable.  Although this shelter
is not a no-kill shelter, I have been assured that they will contact us if
for some reason they can no longer hold this little guy, and they will not
euthanize him.  He has already been seen by their vet and given a FervacD
shot, which also makes me think they are caring well for him :-)  He is
living in a large multi-level cage by himslef, and getting lots of attention
from the staff.  If you are interested in adopting him (this shelter
requests a donation left to your discretion) you can also e-mail me for
more info.

PARIS FERRETS

I have Never heard of a ferret being allowed in cabin on an International
Flight.  Here is my suggestion:

Leave your ferrets in the US with a trusted freind, relative, shelter or
ferret owner until you find an apartment that will allow the ferrets.  At
that point, they can be shipped to you.  This way you will be able to pick
them up at the airport, and not worry about boarding.  I would be concerned
about boarding a ferret who needed Pred, or any other medication, unless you
can find a ferret shelter or owner to board them with.  Either way they are
going cargo.  The cargo holds are heated and cooled to the same temp as the
pax cabin.  You should get a medium sized Pet Taxi or other carrier.  Buy
the most secure one you can find.  Drill holes in the top corners in order
to wire tie a hammock into it.  Buy two crock loks (FerretWare carries them)
and attach them to the door- one for food, and one for water.  get a small
Rubbermaid bin and fill that with either stove chow or recycled newspaper-
not clay litter and attach that to the back wall of the cage, again with
wire ties.  Make sure to add a couple of sleeping sacks made from
Thinsulate, and you are all set.  Put ice cubes in the water dish- they will
melt on the way so your ferrets will have a constant supply of water.  Most
vets strongly advise AGAINST sedating ferrets, as they can have a terrible
time thermoregulating when sedated.  Make sure that the Health Certificate
is an INTERNATIONAL Health Certificate- there is a difference, and not all
vets are authorized to issue the International type.  You should not require
quarantine on your return.  I am sure this is not the news you wanted to
hear, but I hope it helps.

SHELTER FERRETS

Fuzztek Shelter in NJ has around a hundred shelter ferrets available for
adoption.  Included are a 14 week old MF, a 16 week old MF, several pairs of
ferrets in the 2-3 year old range.  We also have ferrets in need of special
people to be foster parents.  Generally our foster ferrets are older with
health issues.  Foster ferrets are placed with families who agree to take
good care of them until either the medical needs become too much for the
foster family, or the ferret crosses the Rainbow Bridge.  The shelter
continues to pick up medical expenses for foster ferrets.  If you live in
NJ (or just over the border in NY or PA) and are interested in being a
foster family, please let us know.  Don't Support Ferret Mills, adopt from
a shelter!

One last thing (OK, two last things...) thanks to everyone who sent a
postcard or note to my son!  Also, I have a very important job interview
on Tuesday, and would like you to send good vibes my way!

-Anne