From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 09:09:14 -0500
One of the first signs of urinary blockages/bladder infections is a ferret
running to the litter box or squatting frequently and producing less urine.
We've dealt with many urinary blockages and each time the boys did the same
thing - ran from litter box to litter box without any or very little urine
being expelled.  If caught early enough and if the blockage is from
mucous/pus a very warm wash cloth held over the tummy/bladder/ prostate
area may relieve the blockage temporarily.  I normally apply the hot pack
while I'm calling the vet to let him know we are coming.  If the blockage
is removed and I can squeeze out the mucous/pus then we use the hot pack
several times a day till we can get to the vet to pick up the baytril - the
sooner the better.  Injectable baytril works faster than tablets but be
cautious if you do the injections.  If accidently injected between layers of
skin instead of under, the baytril will cause irritation and sores.  Our
adrenal boys have tougher skin on the back of their necks than the others so
they are a bit more difficult (for me) to inject.

Hugs to all. tle