From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 17:58:02 -0400
>From:    "Ferret Aid Society..." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: FerVac Reactions-need your imput :o)

We have never ever had any reactions (knock on wood!) with Fervac-D (or
Imrab-3).  A few or our ferrets have gotten vaccinated with Galaxy-D & did
not have reactions either.  We give all distemper vaccines ourselves at
home.

I questioned my vet about reactions and learned something very interesting.
He told me he sees well over 2,000 to 3,000 ferrets a year (he deals with
breeders & has a very large practice) & has an average of twenty reactions
per year.  Most of these vaccinations are given at home, but a few are the
poor ferrets who are allergic to the vaccine.  Curious, I asked why so few?
He told me that highest reason for reaction is from improper injection of
the vaccine.  The distemper vaccine goes between the skin & muscle,
inexperienced owners (& inexperienced vet techs) can accidentally inject
into the muscle.  This can easily happen when the ferret patient is wiggly.
He also told me he saw a higher reaction rate to Imrab-3 when given in
conjunction with a distemper vaccine.

Any vets on the list have any comments on this subject?

Amy Flemming
Flemming Farms
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521