From:
"A. Abate/C. Kinsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 02:40:25 -0400
After 36 hours of around-the-clock care, Slinkie is somewhat stable.  This
very starved ferret came in at less than a quarter of a pound.  Although
her medicines, fluids, catheters and special diet were expensive, no amount
of money will buy the dedication needed for this kind of care.  This is
what shelters do.

A couple weeks ago we came to the Ferret Digest asking for help with Dale.
He had owners but they had no money.  We did a small ear tumor at no
charge, but it was obvious he had other problems.  We optimistically asked
for help and because we have had such a heartwarming response in the past,
were surprised that no one came forth.  Maybe the homeless ferrets seem
more needy, but in this case, donations would have been a way to reach out
not only to a ferret in trouble, but also to fellow ferret owners who love
their ferrets as much as you do.  We took our car payment and gave it to
the vet for Dale's exploratory.  We found a stomach entirely filled with a
rock-like hairball.  The owners of this ferret did not know about Ferretone
or Linatone, which, when given on a daily basis, would have prevented the
situation.  Well, we all have had those live-and-learn episodes.  After
successful stomach surgery Dale is recovering nicely and will go on to live
a long life (he is only 2 years old).  We got a notice from the bank today
about the car payment.  This is what shelters do.

Ferret Rescue of the Western States, Colorado Springs