From:
"K. Crassi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 19:55:09 -0400
>Does anyone know what this is?  Is it something that could be dangerous
>to the ferrets?  And, if it is dangerous to the ferrets, could it be
>transmitted via the human touching the iguana then touching the ferret?
>
>- Nancy

It's salmonella, the same thing you get from raw chicken.  It's possible
to get this from iguanas (and some other reptiles) as well, but normally
healthy people are not usually affected.  However, to be prudent, it is a
good idea to wash with soap and water or use a hand sanitizer after
handling them and before eating or handling food or utensils.  I don't know
about ferrets.  Maybe one of the vets on the list could say as to whether
ferrets would be as susceptible to salmonella as people.

Karen
Do what you want, do what you wish.  It's your life but remember this.
There's bound to be some consequences, sneaking under other fences.
Then what?  Whatcha gonna do when the new wears off and the old shines
through, and it ain't really love and it ain't really lust, you ain't
anybody anybody's gonna trust.  Then what?  Where you gonna turn when
you can't turn back for the bridges you've burned, and fate can't wait
to kick you in the butt. Then what?
                                                -- Clay Walker
If you love ferrets, check out:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html