From:
Lori Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 22:34:17 +0500
Hi everyone.  I don't post to often.  We are up to 4 ferrets now, Pixie 5
yr, Sebastion 4 yr, Mojo 13 mos and Tyrone 8 mos.  Mojo learned how to jump
up to the cat door today!  Was getting dressed this morning and happened to
glance out the window.  Don't normally get dressed that early.  I saw a
ferret in the neighbors yard being chased by one of their scotty dogs.
Never saw my husband jump a fence so fast.  Got Mojo home safely.  We were
so lucky !!!!!  Going to do some more remodeling.

We got Tyrone couple of weeks ago.  His teenaged owner is in jail.  He
tried to give him to us a month ago, but my husband said no.  We had tthe
3 ferrets, 4 cats and 5 lizards.  It was a lot of work taking care of them
all.  I managed to get the lizards all new homes.  Got ahold of the boys
parents to find out about getting the ferret.  The boy changed his mind and
wanted to keep him.  His father thought that we should get him because the
kids life was so unsettled.  They were leaving for a week so he asked us to
take him for that week.

I went to pick him up.  He was the smallest little boy I'd seen.  I talked
to the 14 yo that was taking care of him.  His claws were really long
because he was afraid to clip them.  Tyrone gave me kisses as soon as I
picked him up.  I only got to talk to the people for a few minutes because
they were in a hurry to leave.  They have 13 kids, all adopted.  Crack
babies and other kids nobody else wanted.  Some of the sweetest most
outgoing kids I've seen.

Well they came home last Mon. and I haven't heard a word from them.  If
they lost my # they know that they can get it from a friend of their sons.
Tyrone probably doubled his weight the first 5 days we had him.  He also
had some rear leg weakness that is pretty much gone.  I don't think that
they neglected him.  They just didn'd know any better.  Well their going to
have to fight me to get him back !!

His problem right now, is that he's terrified of the other boys.  Sebastion
tries to kill him.  Mojo has spent more time with him.  Mojo decided last
night that he's done biting him.  Everytime Mojo goes near him, he cries
and screams.  I decided to let him get friendly with Mojo first.  Then deal
with Sebastion.  We have Pixie bunking with Tyrone in a seperate cage next
to the boys cage for now.  Am I doing the right thing letting him get used
to each ferret seperatly ?  Or am I just causing more problems down the
line ?  He didn't even know how to play when we got him.  Watching him
blossom has been a great joy.  Oh, when Tyrone is near any of the boys, the
shit usually does hit the fan, even when we feel that they aren't hurting
him.

This has gotten long enough.  I'll post later about how to protect the new
carpet we're getting.  I feel the pain for everyone that has lost one of
their babies.  I don't want to go through it.  My ferrets have stole my
heart like no other pet has done.  We've had the same cat for 18 yrs, but
my bond with the ferrets seems closer some how and we've only been owned by
them for 18 mos.  or so.

Later Lori and the rest of the getting ready for the rain crew in
Washington state