From:
Jennifer LaRossa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 17:08:43 EDT
Hello, all...
I don't blame Brandy Jean one bit if she missed the first post on the
barbecue.  While I, an avid recipe collector, enjoyed the subject a great
deal, it did bring back a very unpleasant memory from the 1970's, and
Sandi, from the Best Little R, R, and F House, you may want to close your
eyes for this one.  Okay, back then when I used to keep guinea pigs, I
joined the American Cavy Breeders Association.  In the book of bylaws and
standards and all that stuff was included a chapter on making big bucks by
developing a market for these sweet little piggies as a food item, sort of
like bunny rabbits are "food" in some circles (Mr. McGregor's, for example).
The author of this manual was NOT kidding.  So if Brandy Jean missed the
humor in the situation, the eating of companion animals is certainly NOT
without precedent, and she may have been aware of that!  Sure wish I could
forget it.

Next: Archie seems to be doing fine after the removal of a small mast cell
tumor from the top of her head.  I was not prepared for the length of the
incision for something that was smaller than the diameter of an eraser, and
usually covered by fur.  She has gone from looking like the ferret version
of Audrey Hepburn to looking like Frankenstein's monster, and if anyone is
suggesting perhaps "Bride of Frankenstein", I have to say, sorry, not even
THAT attractive.  But of course she radiates inner beauty anyway.  The big
deal biopsy results are not back yet, so of course I am worried that they
may have worse news than the scraping thing done a few weeks ago.  And
since we have to keep her and Rustle separated, doctor's orders (they play
much too rough), we are counting the days until the stitches are out and
they can be reunited.  (Surgical glue was not used because of the location
of the incision.  It even seems to extend onto her eyelid a bit.)

As for my safety tip, I hesitate to say anything for fear of jinxing them,
but here goes: before I open the cage door to release the troops, I follow
an unchanging routine of closing doors to the unsafe rooms, putting up the
trash, eyeballing for hazards and then, the piece de resistance, putting up
signs on the front door: WARNING:FERRETS ON THE LOOSE.  ENTER AT YOUR OWN
RISK.  While the worst thing these guys might do to people is dab at their
ankles with cold, wet noses, this is my way of reminding people that they
must be vigilant when they enter and leave the house.  Those of us who live
here already know to shuffle our feet instead of walking and to check
before sitting down, but depending on our guests, we either watch them like
a hawk or put the ferrets back in the cage and hope that the guests leave
soon.  I know a lot of you don't cage ferrets, but they have gotten into so
many situations here that I rely on the cage to keep them safe when I am
not around to watch them.  I don't care if they break stuff, as long as
they are having a good time, but I do not want them to get hurt.

Thank you to everyone who sent get well wishes to Archie; I hope I answered
you all!

Jennifer