From:
John Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 23:29:58 -0700
I haven't posted for awhile, trying to honor my belief that it is better to
be quiet and thought a fool, than to open my mouth and eliminate all doubt.
I really appreciate this list, BIG, and all the contributors, even those I
violently disagree with.  I have learned much from the debates and
discussions here.

I won't be posting responses to those who disagree with my position.  I've
been flamed by the best and I (sadly) doused their flame throwers.

I once upset a poster by commenting that truth has more power than lies and
that eventually the truth will come out.  I'm sorry that person no longer
subscribes.  I'd suggest he watch TV or read a newspaper.  Another dumb old
naive country boy from Illinois named Lincoln said something about fooling
all the people some of the time, etc.

Another time, I upset many by a post which took to task another gentleman
who I felt had offended my little "butchered furball" Marshall Farms
ferrets who are neutered/descented.  I hope that gentleman is still
monitoring the list even though he hasn't posted in a while.

On September 2nd, "Leroy" came to my home to live.  Leroy was a 2 (?) year
old whole sable who was left at a vets in Macomb, IL last March with
instructions to put him down since he was a vicious biter.  A young man who
worked at the vets saved him, neutered him and gave him his shots.  Leroy
was confined to a small cage and continued his aggressive biting.  In June,
Leroy was given to Danette with her intention to work with him to "humanize
him".  Danette's a nice person who has two others that don't get along and
Leroy fought with both so he remained lonely in a small cage.  Danette's
schedule changed and Leroy was not getting the attention he needed, so
Danette asked me to give him a permanent home.

Leroy loves to run and play, knows the towel game, wardances and gives
slobbery kisses.  He has nipped a couple of times to tell me he wants to
play, but has yet to "bite".  I had to scruff him only once (he hates that)
in order to get him to take "Ferretone" the first time, but he now loves
the stuff like a true ferret.  He has moved in with Bill and Hillary with a
minimum of turmoil.  Bill is a laid back, chubby, speed bump who is
dominated by Hillary and I was concerned that Leroy might be too "bad" for
him.

Yesterday (Sunday) Dee (the owner of the best ferrets in the world - her
words) and I went to Bloomington, IL to an "exotic" pet show/expo deal.
There were two cages with ferrets for sale.  One guy had 8 or 10 Marshall
Farms kits for sale at $80.00 each.  Another young man had one older ferret
named "Baby Girl" for sale at $50.00.  While Dee headed for the kits, I
asked if I could pick up the older girl.  He said sure, she won't bite, is
about 2= years old, and has been in heat for 2 or 3 months.

Now I'm not an idiot.  I can buy a "new" healthy neutered/descented baby
for $30.00 more than a "used" sick girl who will need $150.00 +/- in vet
care ASAP.  Is there any doubt which one will go home with me?

So when I got Baby Girl home, I introduced her to Bill, Hillary and Leroy.
I expected poofing and some attacking from recently de-balled Leroy.
Hillary being the "Homegirl" was expected to sniff butt and scuffle a bit
to explain whose house it was.  I figured that passive, chubby, speedbump
Bill would watch from a distance since he is a "butchered" MF boy who has
never smelled a girl in heat.

In a matter of minutes everyone had sniffed butt and as expected some
serious crying told me that at least two babies were involved in determining
the pecking order while inside a large multi-story box they have to play in.
I was surprised to see that Leroy was outside looking in and was further
surprised as Hillary backed out of the entrance.  The fighting was getting
even more serious and getting First Ferret Bill off of Baby Girl was a
challenge.  No blood was shed but, I determined that they couldn't play
together until she isn't so attractive to Bill.  Leroy took his shot but it
wasn't any where near as serious as Billy Boy.  I'm so proud of Billy!!!

This morning, I spoke with the breeder who sold this little girl 3 months
ago to the young man with the warning that she was in heat and needed to be
spayed.  He says he didn't have the money.  The breeder tells me that Baby
Girl had 1 litter and when she went into heat again there was no whole male
to be found so she sold Baby Girl to the young man.  Tuesday, Baby Girl
will get her bloodwork to see if she can survive the surgery Wednesday
morning.

Yes, that's "steam" you see coming from your monitor.  I'm doing my best to
not be rude to those who believe greedy corporate types who neuter/descent
ferrets before sending them to the uninformed general public are bad for
ferrets.  This is the real world, not Utopia.  Demand creates supply.
Ferrets will be sold as pets whether a "farm" breeds them or not.

For those who think I'm wrong to support the concept of neutering for pets,
I respect your right to believe that.  But I've had to use ferret math twice
in two weeks to rectify the unthinking ignorance of arrogant "purists".  I'm
spending money to insure the health of 2 abused ferrets that wouldn't have
been abused if they were Marshall Farms ferrets.

I thank God for blessing me with them and for giving me the money required
to help them.  I will love them for as long as God allows.  Their "pedigree"
is unimportant to me.  Their love is.

If anybody has an extra prayer or good wish on Wednesday when Baby Girl has
her long delayed operation, please express it to the power that matters and
don't waste time sending it to me.  I'm amply rewarded with ferret kisses
from Bill, Hillary, Leroy & Baby Girl.