From:
Debra Thomason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 10:36:45 -0500
Brandy--
All is not as it may at first seem.  OF COURSE we don't eat ferrets!  It's
all in fun... a little black, I'll grant you, but humor only all the same.
It's nothing more than tongue-in-cheek laughter at the way words can be
twisted, starting with how warped it sounded to misread an announcement
about a fundraising event-- a BBQ fundraiser to benefit ferrets, that is, a
ferret BBQ.  When you have heavy issues like mystery diseases, cancers,
accidents, and rabies quarantine periods or the lack of, you have to step
back and laugh at yourself every once in a while just to stay sane.  Please
don't take offense, none was intended.  I even got a note back from another
reader who has referred to ferret noises as "chook" too and noticed the
chicken items on the Outback menu and had a laugh.  I think the only
genuinely BBQ'd ferrets I've ever heard of on this list were Tater and
Odie, belonging to PawPaw-- they overturned his bucket of sauce and painted
themselves red with it!  Come on, if you can't laugh, at least give a small
smile at the mental image of ferrets war-dancing through spilled BBQ sauce?

Debra