From:
Matthew aka Krazy Kritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 08:27:13 -0500
Yes it's true Dallas is a FFZ.  However it is not actively enforced, but if
there is a complaint you would have NO recourse as the law would be working
against you.  The Ferret Lovers' Club of Texas desperately needs residence
of Dallas and other cities willing to stand up at a city council meetings
and tell them calmly and rationally why ferrets should be allowed.  We need
people who actually live in the city to speak up and be heard.  Any
volunteers?

As for the Ferret Olympics on the 26th.  While it's in the Dallas/Ft Worth
area it's actually being held in the Grand Prairie city limits.  Grand
Prairie, unlike Dallas, is ferret friendly and gives ferrets the same
treatment as cats and dogs according to their city ordinances.  We've not
had an occasion to test it but we are assured both by animal control and
other city officials that it not a problem and they do not see ferrets as a
threat.  The DFW area is made up of more than two dozen cities.  Each city
having their own laws.  Carrollton, for examples, while not specifically
illegal, they have said they will confiscate a ferret if a complaint is
received, or even kill it in a bite scratch incidence.  Others have no
problems with ferrets, just a few months ago Ft Worth became one of those
cities and you can now legally own a ferret but even more importantly they
have amended their code to match that of the state who has also amended
their code to reflect the 1998 Compendium recommendations of 10 day
quarantine in bite & scratch incidences.  However I must also mention
regardless what the law says until it's tested and proven and actually
followed through with according, we really don't know what's going to
happen.  Also many cities here are unregulated which will probably not
abide by the compendium, but again we won't really know until someone makes
a bite scratch complaint, so I would urge you to lean on the side of
caution.

If you're interested in helping out in legalization efforts in your or
another city in the DFW are please contact Debra Thomason, our legal person
of the club at [log in to unmask]

Matthew a.k.a. Krazy Kritter

Alpha pager: 800-SPRINT-1 Pin 317-3247
Kozy Kingdom Ferret Rescue and Halfway House, Grand Prairie, Texas
VP Membership & Public Relations, Ferret Lovers' Club of Texas
http://kozykingdom.com ICQ: 279754 AIM: KrittersK