From:
Valkyrie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 23:15:34 +8000
I told myself that I wasn't going to post on this subject but I can't stand
it any more.  Don't bother flaming me cuz I'm quick with the delete key.
:::grin:::

My dear Caesar came from a Petco (Puyallup, WA), and the gentleman that sold
him to me was quite knowledgable.  He had 4 fuzzies of his own and told me
that 3 other employees there also had fuzzies.  He was the one I called
when I needed advice.  So far there has been nothing that he's told me that
hasn't been confirmed/backed up by this list.  Sure, I've had a great
experience with Petco and I realize that not every Petco is like
that...however, I've had the same amount of luck in our Lakewood and our
Bremerton Petco's.  So what's my point.  Take it easy guys...attack the icky
stores not the whole chain.  One bad apple CAN spoil the whole bunch IF the
apple is allowed to rot!  Attack the INDIVIDUAL store NOT the whole chain.
Case in point....Petsmart/Vetsmart can be very ignorant at times, I grant
you this...our Federal Way VetsMart has a really cool Doc there that is
VERY knowledgable in regards to Ferrets...it's one of his specialties, the
brochure they have on ferts is simplistic but positive and supportive of
ferrets as pets, too.  The VetsMart in Puyallup is basically dumber than a
box of rocks when it comes to ferrets but proclaims to know all.  :::sigh:::
Just like anything else in this nasty ol'world you have to work smart, shop
smart, be smart.  I am well aware of the fact that we are talking about
sweet fuzzy lives.  But can we not forget that not every petstore is "bad
place".  I'm all for shelters, and adopting from them, but there is a place
in this world, our hearts, and the human race as a whole for pet store
puppies, kittens, birds, rodents, and even ferrets.  As long as we two
leggeds are walking this planet there will be petstore pets...why?  Because
just as there are idiots that have no business buying a mouse there will be
those of us that have a empty spot in our heart that needs to be filled...
maybe we won't know that until we see the little guy bouncing in that icky
cage..... I know, cuz that's what happened to me.... and I guarandamntee you
that even though Caesar was an impulse buy, bought because of my own selfish
needs... he will NEVER see the inside of a shelter cage.  He's a spoiled,
obnoxious, lovable, squeezable, lickmynose, Igotyousurroundedmom,
squeezerCaesar, fuzzyloveyourface, ferret and he's my baby!!!!!!  And as
soon as I am able I will get him a playmate, all places are under
consideration, be it Sandi Ackermans shelter in Seattle, a petstore or out
of the newspaper.  Where he comes from isn't as important to me as the
newbie liking me, liking Caesar, and that Caesar and I feel sure that he'll
fit in with our zoo.  That's all I have to say...thanks.

Nancy
There is pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more,
From these our interviews, in which we steal
From all I may be or have been before,
To mingle with the Universe, and feel
What I can ne'er express, yet cannot conceal.
               ---Lord Byron